Irish Water have launched a new site to assist students who paid their bills to get their refunds.
What is the link to the new Irish Water site?
What’s the craic with it all?
- An all-party Oireachtas Committee on the funding of water services agreed that water charges are to be scrapped except in cases of excessive use.
- The committee’s examination of the divisive issue came about under the terms of the deal between Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil that saw the establishment of the minority Government.
- With water charges effectively having been axed, it has been decided that people who paid will get refunds, so they’re treated the same as those who didn’t pay the charges.
When will the refunds begin?
- Irish Water said the refund process began on Monday, November 20th with 180,000 cheques processed in the first week.
- Almost 90 per cent of cheques are due to be issued by the end of the year.
If you’ve moved since you’ve paid, what should you do?
- If you paid your landlord directly, then contact them immediately and alert them that you know refunds are now being sent out by cheque, and that you require reimbursement for the amount you paid while you were a tenant.
Your refund amount
- Households with more than one occupant who paid all five bills could receive a refund of up to €325.
- Those with a single occupant who paid all five bills could receive a refund of up to €200.
- The amount you paid to Irish Water in domestic billing charges will be refunded to you.
- To view your refund amount please use the calculator provided. If you do not have your WPRN and account number you can view how domestic water charges were applied.
How will you receive your refund
- Refunds of almost one million payments are now in progress and will take a number of months. We will send a cheque to the Irish Water account holder at your registered address.
- The cheque will be attached to a letter.
Why cheques are being used
- Because Irish Water see this as being the most efficiently and securely manner within the timeframe given.
- Cheques are the most effective method available to do this while also ensuring we refund to the correct person.
What is the schedule for the refunds being paid?
- 45,000 cheques will be issued per day from now on and cheques will be printed six days a week.
Do I need to do anything to get my refund?
- According to Irish Water, you only need to contact them if you have changed address and your details need to be updated. Everyone else can just sit back and wait for the cheque to arrive.
Have you moved? Update your account information immediately
- We’re encouraging students to log into their My Water account.
- There you can find your WPRN and Account Number, view your previous bills and payments, and check we have your correct contact details for refunds.
I paid with a direct debit, why are they sending me a cheque?
- According to Irish Water: “We want to refund our customers efficiently and securely within the time frame given. Cheques are the most effective method available to do this while also ensuring we refund to the correct person.
And how much will I get?
- According to Irish Water: “The amount you paid to Irish Water in domestic billing charges will be refunded to you.”